Mission Amrit SarovarJanuary 17, 2023 2023-01-17 17:37
Mission Amrit Sarovar
Mission Amrit Sarovar
- The mission Amrit Sarovar launched by Prime Minister on April 24, 2022.
- In a move that could expedite the implementation of railways and highways projects across the country, the Union government has asked the Ministry of Railways and the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) to use the soil/silt excavated from ponds/tanks in all districts across the country under the Amrit Sarovar mission for their infrastructure projects.
- The Mission is aimed at developing and rejuvenating 75 water bodies in each district of the country as a part of celebration of Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav.
- This Mission has been launched with a whole of Government Approach in which 6 Ministries/Department namely Dept. of Rural Development , Dept. of land resources, Dept. of Drinking Water and Sanitation, Dept. of Water resources, Ministry of Panchayati Raj, Ministry of Forest, Environment and Climate changes.
- The Bhaskaracharya National Institute for Space Application and Geo-informatics(BISAG-N) has been engaged as Technical partner for the Mission.
- The Mission works through the States and Districts, through refocusing of various schemes such as MGNREGS, 15th Finance Commission Grants, PMKSY sub schemes such as Watershed Development Component, Har Khet Ko Pani besides States’ own schemes.
- The Mission encourages mobilisation of citizen and non-govt resources for supplementing these efforts.
- The Mission Amrit Sarovar is to be completed by 15th August 2023.
- Around 50,000 such Amrit Sarovar may be constructed in the country.
- Each of these Amrit Sarovar will have area of 1 acre with a water holding capacity of 10,000 cubic meter.
- People’s participation in the Mission is the focal point.
- Local freedom fighter, their family members, Martyr’s family members, Padma Awardee and citizens of the local area wherein an Amrit Sarovar is to be constructed, will be engaged at all stages.
- On every 15th August, National Flag hoisting will be organised on every Amrit Sarovar site.
Q. Amrit Sarovar mission, recently seen in news, is related to which of the following?
(a) Water rejuvenating programme of Union government
(b) Road development mission by NHAI
(c) Irrigation programme under the Department of Water resources
(d) River cleaning programme under Ministry of Forest, Environment and Climate changes
Answer : A
To UPSC-standard MCQs, join our Telegram Channel.
To get years of subjectwise-segregated newspaper articles, join our subjectwise Telegram Channels.
Join our 140k+ YouTube community to watch free classes on various UPSC related topics.
Follow us on Instagram for UPSC updates.
Click here to read more UPSC Current Affairs.
Ekam IAS is the oldest online IAS institute in Kerala. We’ve years of experience in mentoring and teaching students all over the nation, helping them achieve their UPSC-dream through the right guidance, strategy, and precise content. Join Ekam IAS and turn your UPSC-dream into reality.
To learn customizable preparation strategies, book an appointment with our UPSC-expert. Book Now.