World Environment DayJanuary 26, 2023 2023-01-26 16:31
World Environment Day
World Environment Day
- World Environment Day is celebrated every year on 5th June across the globe to encourage awareness and environmental protection.
- United Nations Conference on the Human Environment also known as the Stockholm conference held in 1972 became the first world conference with the environment as its major agenda and it declared the right to live in a healthy environment as a basic human right.
- It is led by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP).
- The celebration of world environment day every year is done according to a specific theme and slogan which addresses the major environmental concern of the time.
- It is hosted by a different country each year.
- In 1974, the first World Environment Day was held with the theme “Only One Earth”.
- In 2018, India hosted the 45th celebration of World Environment Day under the theme ‘Beat Plastic Pollution’.
- The Indian government made a bold commitment to ban all single-use plastics—which makes up 70 per cent of marine litter—by 2022 and European Union lawmakers agreed on a ban by 2025.
- 2022 is a historic milestone as it marks 50 years since the 1972 Stockholm Conference.
- This year, Sweden is the host country.
- The slogan for World Environment day 2022 is “Only One Earth”, which focuses on living sustainably in harmony with nature.
- Last year, World Environment Day celebration kicked off the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration (2021-2030) which is a global mission to revive billions of hectares, from forests to farmlands, from the top of mountains to the depth of the seas.
Model Question :
Q. With reference to the World Environment Day, which of the following statements are correct?
- World Environment Day is led by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) on June 5 every year.
- The 45th celebration of World Environment Day was hosted by India under the theme ‘Beat Plastic Pollution’.
- On this day the participants switch off the lights for one hour in every year.
Select the correct answer using the code given below :
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
Answer : A
To UPSC-standard MCQs, join our Telegram Channel.
To get years of subjectwise-segregated newspaper articles, join our subjectwise Telegram Channels.
Join our 140k+ YouTube community to watch free classes on various UPSC related topics.
Follow us on Instagram for UPSC updates.
Click here to read more UPSC Current Affairs.
Ekam IAS is the oldest online IAS institute in Kerala. We’ve years of experience in mentoring and teaching students all over the nation, helping them achieve their UPSC-dream through the right guidance, strategy, and precise content. Join Ekam IAS and turn your UPSC-dream into reality.
To learn customizable preparation strategies, book an appointment with our UPSC-expert. Book Now.