17th G20November 17, 2022 2022-11-17 17:23
The G20 is an annual meeting of leaders from the countries with the largest and fastest-growing economies. They represent 85% of the global GDP, 75% of global trade, and 66% of the world population.
- The 17th G20 Heads of State and Government Summit has concluded in Bali, Indonesia.
- The motto for the 17th G-20 is Recover Together, Recover Stronger.
- The G20 was formed with the first meeting in Berlin in 1999 in the backdrop of the financial crisis of the late 1990s that hit East Asia and Southeast Asia in particular.
- The G20 has no permanent secretariat. The agenda and work are coordinated by representatives of the G20 countries, known as ‘Sherpas’, who work together with the finance ministers and governors of the central banks.
- The primary mandate of the grouping is for International Economic cooperation with particular emphasis to prevent future financial crises across the world.
- Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, South Korea, Turkey, the United Kingdom, the United States and the European Union.
- Every year in December, a G20 country from a rotating region takes on the presidency.
- The host country can choose to invite non-member countries along as guests.
- Next year the New Delhi will host the summit as India presides the G20 from December 2022.
- India’s theme– ‘One Earth, One Family, One Future’.
Key areas of focus by India:
- Inclusive, Equitable and Sustainable Growth
- LiFE (Lifestyle For Environment)
- Women’s Empowerment
- Digital public infrastructure and tech-enabled development in areas ranging from health, agriculture and education to commerce
- Skill-mapping, culture and tourism, climate financing, circular economy, global food security, energy security, green hydrogen, disaster risk reduction and resilience
- Developmental cooperation, fight against economic crime, and multilateral reforms
In which one of the following groups are all four countries members of G20?
(a) Argentina, Mexico, South Africa and Turkey
(b) Australia, Canada, Malaysia and New Zealand
(c) Brazil, Iran, Saudi Arabia and Vietnam
(d) Indonesia, Japan, Singapore and South Korea
To view answer key and much more, join our Telegram Channel.
To get years of subjectwise-segregated newspaper articles, join our subjectwise Telegram Channels.
Join our 140k+ YouTube community to watch free classes on various UPSC related topics.
Follow us on Instagram for UPSC updates.
Click here to read more UPSC Current Affairs.
Ekam IAS is the oldest online IAS institute in Kerala. We’ve years of experience in mentoring and teaching students all over the nation, helping them achieve their UPSC-dream through the right guidance, strategy, and precise content. Join Ekam IAS and turn your UPSC-dream into reality.
To learn customizable preparation strategies, book an appointment with our UPSC-expert. Book Now.