The “Agnipath” schemeJanuary 18, 2023 2023-01-18 13:58
The “Agnipath” scheme
The “Agnipath” scheme
- Defence Minister announced the “Agnipath” scheme, as approved by the Union Cabinet, for recruitment of youth in the armed forces for four years.
- The process of recruitment will commence in 90 days with a planned intake of about 46,000 young men and women this year.
- This will be the only form of recruitment of soldiers into the three defence services
- The scheme was aimed at strengthening national security and also for providing an opportunity to the youth to serve in the armed forces.
- Recruits under the scheme will be known as “Agniveers”.
- After completing their four-year service, they can apply for regular employment in the armed forces.
- They may be given priority over others for various jobs in other government departments.
- The move is expected to decrease the average age profile of armed forces personnel from the current 32 years to 24-26 years over a period of time.
- Upon completion of four years of service, based on organisational requirements and the existing policies of the armed forces, the “Agniveers” will be able to apply for permanent enrolment.
- Those selected would be required to serve for a further minimum period of 15 years.
- The scheme’s benefits includes an increase in the technical threshold, better utilisation of recruit training period, and an optimum balance between youth and experience.
- Agniveers would be capable of being deployed on the borders with Pakistan and China.
Model Question :
Q. The “Agnipath” scheme, recently seen in news is related to which of the following?
(a) Government initiatives for housewives in rural areas.
(b) Government initiative for factory workers.
(c) DRDO’s news initiative for missile technology.
(d) New scheme for recruitment of youth in the armed forces.
Answer : D
To UPSC-standard MCQs, join our Telegram Channel.
To get years of subjectwise-segregated newspaper articles, join our subjectwise Telegram Channels.
Join our 140k+ YouTube community to watch free classes on various UPSC related topics.
Follow us on Instagram for UPSC updates.
Click here to read more UPSC Current Affairs.
Ekam IAS is the oldest online IAS institute in Kerala. We’ve years of experience in mentoring and teaching students all over the nation, helping them achieve their UPSC-dream through the right guidance, strategy, and precise content. Join Ekam IAS and turn your UPSC-dream into reality.
To learn customizable preparation strategies, book an appointment with our UPSC-expert. Book Now.