Rohingya MuslimsJanuary 19, 2023 2023-01-19 11:32
- Rohingya to mark 5 years in Bangladesh refugee camps. Refugees say they are waiting for repatriation to Rakhine, their home state.
- Rohingya Muslims are described by the United Nations as the most persecuted minority in the world.
- Rohingyas are indigenous to Rakhine state (also known as Arakan) in Myanmar settled since the 15th
- They are an Ethnic group, mostly Muslims.
- They were not granted full citizenship by Myanmar.
- They were classified as “resident foreigners or associate citizens”.
- According to Myanmar government, they are illegal immigrants migrated to Rakhine following Burmese independence and Bangladesh liberation war.
- They are victims of an organized genocide and are one of the world’s most persecuted minorities.
- The population of Rohingyas was around 1 to 1.3 million before the 2015 crisis.
- Ethnically they are much closer to Indo-Aryan people of India and Bangladesh than to the Sino-Tibetans of the Country.
- They fled their homes in 2017 to escape an alleged crackdown by the Myanmarese military.
- To escape discrimination and violence in Myanmar, minority Rohingya Muslims have for decades fled from the Buddhist-majority country to neighbouring Bangladesh and other countries, including India.
- Bhasan Char is an island specifically developed to accommodate 1,00,000 of the 1 million Rohingya who have fled from neighbouring Myanmar.
Q. Which of the following Indian states borders with Myanmar?
- Arunachal Pradesh
Select the correct answer using the code given below :
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 2 and 4 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 3 and 4 only
Answer : C
To UPSC-standard MCQs, join our Telegram Channel.
To get years of subjectwise-segregated newspaper articles, join our subjectwise Telegram Channels.
Join our 140k+ YouTube community to watch free classes on various UPSC related topics.
Follow us on Instagram for UPSC updates.
Click here to read more UPSC Current Affairs.
Ekam IAS is the oldest online IAS institute in Kerala. We’ve years of experience in mentoring and teaching students all over the nation, helping them achieve their UPSC-dream through the right guidance, strategy, and precise content. Join Ekam IAS and turn your UPSC-dream into reality.
To learn customizable preparation strategies, book an appointment with our UPSC-expert. Book Now.