World No Tobacco DayJanuary 27, 2023 2023-01-27 17:44
World No Tobacco Day
World No Tobacco Day
- World No Tobacco Day is an annual celebration organized by the World Health Organization (WHO) and is also known as Anti-Tobacco Day.
- Every year, on 31st May, the World Health Organization (WHO) and global partners celebrate World No Tobacco Day (WNTD).
- The main aim of celebrating World No Tobacco Day is to focus on the risk associated with the use of tobacco and alarm the public.
- The theme for World No Tobacco Day 2022 is “Protect the Environment”.
- According to WHO, around 6 million people die from tobacco related illness every year and by 2030 the number is expected to rise over 8 million.
- According to the Global Youth Tobacco Survey, India has the second largest number (268 million) of tobacco users in the world and of these 13 lakh die every year from tobacco-related diseases.
- Nearly 27% of all cancers in India are due to tobacco usage.
- In 1987, the Member States of The World Health Organization (WHO) started World No Tobacco Day to draw global attention to the tobacco epidemic and the preventable death and disease it causes.
- World Health Assembly on 15th May 1987 passed a resolution in which 7th April 1988 was decided to be the World No Smoking Day.
- This particular date was chosen because this day was the 40th anniversary of the World Health Organization( WHO).
- In 1988 another resolution was passed and it was decided that every year 31st May will be observed as World No Tobacco Day/ Anti-Tobacco Day.
Steps taken by India to Control Tobacco Consumption:
- India adopted the tobacco control provisions under WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (WHO FCTC).
- The Promulgation of the Prohibition of Electronic Cigarettes Ordinance, 2019 prohibits Production, Manufacture, Import, Export, Transport, Sale, Distribution, Storage and Advertisement of e-Cigarettes.
- The Government of India launched the National Tobacco Quitline Services (NTQLS) which have the sole objective to provide telephone-based information, advice, support, and referrals for tobacco cessation.
- mCessation Programme is a similar initiative which uses mobile technology for tobacco cessation. It was launched in 2016 as part of the government’s Digital India initiative.
Q. Which among the following organisation conducts the annual celebration of World No Tobacco Day (WNTD)?
(a) World Health Organization (WHO)
(c) United Nations Economic and Social Council
(d) International Health Organization, (IHO)
Answer : A
To UPSC-standard MCQs, join our Telegram Channel.
To get years of subjectwise-segregated newspaper articles, join our subjectwise Telegram Channels.
Join our 140k+ YouTube community to watch free classes on various UPSC related topics.
Follow us on Instagram for UPSC updates.
Click here to read more UPSC Current Affairs.
Ekam IAS is the oldest online IAS institute in Kerala. We’ve years of experience in mentoring and teaching students all over the nation, helping them achieve their UPSC-dream through the right guidance, strategy, and precise content. Join Ekam IAS and turn your UPSC-dream into reality.
To learn customizable preparation strategies, book an appointment with our UPSC-expert. Book Now.